Friday, June 6, 2014

"The Shun Toug" - Letter Thirty Six"

Dear Meg and Jennifer, I know that you will find this amusing and this will prove that we know each other especially at P.S.31 on Layton Avenue, Staten Island.  When I was sent to kindergarten from P.S.17 to P.S.31 on Layton Avenue there was an unusual boy who could not speak any other word but "Shun Toug". He was dropped off by two white parents originally to Mrs. Schultzou when she and other teachers noticed that they could not understand a word that he was saying.  They would pound him with questions but he would always say "Shun Toug". He seemed to be an Indian boy when one day the school principal asked where his parent were. They asked him and he said "Shun Toug" Well no matter what you said to this boy he would say "Shun Toug". Now if you went to the same school you two would be laughing hysterically. For you yourselves Knew the "Shun Tong". The school principal had to bring in a linguistics expert to figure out what he was saying. The expert was baffled by his language but believed that it could be an ancient Babylonian tongue.
 "But where are his parents?" said the school principal. "I don't know - a white couple just's drops him off here!" said one of the principal's staff. After a while I believe that Mr. Brown Pants found an Indian couple to step in and say that they were his parents. If you went to the same school then you are now laughing. For you yourself spoke to him and he said "Shun Toug". No one could figure out what that phrase meant. Obviously this boy needed help and phonics. His life continued but I moved away in 1969 as you know and that is how I lost touch with you Meg for a while. But in later years when we met again I was taken to the Layton Avenue area by one of the Barbado's crowd. I was introduced to a Indian man - It was "The Shun Toug!!" I was intrigued and did not believe that he was still alive and still existed. It was him and he spoke fluent English only he had the same kindergarten head. Again I am sorry but I argued with him about religion and God. We got along a little bit but Mr. Morewhine was behind me. The Barbado's Crowd already knew him. I did not see him get hurt or killed but I believe he may have escaped. He may have even been on the "Dick Cavett Show" claiming to be the original "Shun Toug" or something. Of course Dick asked for proof that he was the original Shun Toug but may have never actually got it. But now a fabled guru -  the "ShunToug" is believed to be have turned his back to this world -  and to be residing in "North Iceland". If you or Jennifer recognize the photo above -  then you know that we knew each other. There have been many "fake" "Shun Toug's" -  like you see in the center photo above. The famous "Shun Toug" from the 60's actually spoke to me. For as a taxi driver I have picked him up many times at the "Dirty Deli"  near our taxi stand ... "The Great Shun Toug" .... and he lives not too far from me on Quinlan ..... Perhaps he only pretends to be dumb ..... Perphaps he is a genius ....  Thank You .....

No comments:

Post a Comment